Friday, February 12, 2010

Simon's Lullaby

All the baby books say that creating a nighttime routine will help babies become better sleepers. Until now, we've had a pretty basic routine...Last feeding, diaper change, into PJs, then to the glider where we all read a book together. Lights out and one of us rocks with him until he's sleepy, then into the crib.

We wanted to add one more step to make bedtime special, so we decided to start singing him a lullaby. I love the tune of Brahms' Lullaby ("Lullaby, and good night...") but the lyrics are very outdated and just don't work. So we decided to write a version just for Simon. And here it is:

Lullaby and good night
Lay your head down my baby
Little Simon, little guy
Stars are twinkling in the sky

Close your eyes, go to sleep
Settle in now ‘til morning
Safe and warm , in your bed
Sweet dreams dance in your head

Lullaby and good night
Soon the sun will be shining
We will play the whole day through
Always know that we love you


We debuted it a few days ago, and when I forgot the last two lines I swear Simon rolled his eyes at me...but I think overall he enjoyed it and I hope it becomes a special part of our bedtime routine.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment