Tuesday, November 13, 2007

lazy lazy lazy

sorry we aren't more prolific yet, still trying to get into the swing of sharing the minutiae of our lives online.

Let's see, how about a boring update post. Lorie was here this past long weekend. It was great to see her and really fun showing her around Seattle. It's always interesting to see something you are familiar with through someone else's eyes--they always spot something you either haven't noticed recently or have been taking for granted. Lorie was particularly struck by the difference in the style of houses and landscaping around here. It sounds like a little thing, but in retrospect, I think it makes a pretty huge difference in how it feels to drive around and live here. The houses are smaller and much more detailed, and everyone has a personal touch out for show, be it a leaded glass window in the front door or an insanely elaborate Halloween display.

Seattleites aren't afraid to be kinda cheesy--there's an earnestness about the people here that at first can be easy to mock, but it's really what is at the heart of how damn nice everyone is here. Hipsters, hippies and yuppies find some sort of middle ground around here, much more so than I saw in NYC or Philadelphia.

I don't know where I fall in that classification. I guess towards the yuppie side, with my job in advertising and my VW Jetta. Oh well, I did the hippie thing and I'm definitely not cool enough to be a hipster. and I'm okay with that.

ta ta for now,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment