Sunday, November 4, 2007

Money and the early appearance of Christmas in the stores

Everyone always bitches about how Christmas starts earlier and earlier each year. This year I noticed a commercial on TV around 10/15 that didn't say the words "Christmas" or "Holiday" but it was red, sparkly and somehow involved a toy store. So I think that counts. And at the mall yesterday, it's definitely getting started--JC Penney had a pretty tableau in its entrance, Bath and Body Works has "soft-launched" its holiday candles.

So why is this bad? I get that people see it as an indication of how commercial the holiday has become. It's all about shopping and not about all the other stuff, like family, the baby jesus, all that. But let's be honest. It can be all about the mushy stuff and you will still be buying lots of presents. And it will always cost a lot of money. And if the stores waited until mid-December to bring out the big Christmas displays, I wouldn't have enough time to save up for for everything I have to buy! I think the stores and TV ads are helping me be fiscally responsible--this way, I have from 10/15 or so to budget.

In the interest of full disclosure, i LOVE Christmas and wouldn't mind if it started around September first. Or maybe just after my birthday, so soften the blow of knowing I have 364 more days until Augst 13th of next year

Merry Christmas!
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment