Thursday, November 8, 2007

Matt here - thinking this is the place for some random musings and thoughts - maybe it'll help me stay connected, since I'm a fairly terrible communicator.

I was listening to the radio the other day, and it being Seattle indie rock giant KEXP, the DJ was playing a Joy Division block due to the Ian Curtis biopic Control coming out shortly. I warn you that I'm going to say some things about Joy Division that aren't reverent, so tune out if you need to. I don't want to hear any weak protests.

Joy Division is one of those bands whose sound is always described as "unique" and "influential". I agree wholeheartedly - they paved the way for a good chunk of the electronica and post-punk spectrum. However, I'll argue that a lot of their music, while interesting, really isn't all that enjoyable to listen to.

I think it's an aspect of music that really pushes boundaries - the same thing can be said for Lou Reed/Velvet Underground, Husker Du, Steve Reich and late Miles Davis. The music is made up of components that are detailed, different and combined in unique ways. However, pushing so hard at certain aspects inevitably leaves the whole a bit unbalanced. The point I'm trying to make is that there seems to be a division between music you love and music you respect. Some bands push so far past the boundaries that it often takes someone to come back and reel the ambition back in just a bit.

So respect for all those that tear out of the envelope a little bit, even if it takes someone coming back and re-forming it.

No comments:

Post a Comment